Editor's Note: Dan Smigrod is Founder, CEO and Chief Photographer of We Get Around. This analysis is based on his 25+ years of experience in television and entertainment marketing mashed up with his experience using Matterport technology to power We Get Around WalkAround™ 3D tours. His predictions are based on his impressions of (coming soon) Matterport virtual reality (VR) Showcase tour experiences.
by Dan Smigrod, @DanSmigrod
Are you addicted to:
- HGTV TV shows like: Property Brothers, House Hunters, Rehab Addict, Flip or Flop and Fixer Upper?
- Travel Channel TV shows like: Hotel Impossible, Ghost Adventures and Mysteries at the Museum?
- CNN TV show like Anthony Bourdain: Parks Unknown?
- Or, a gazillion TV shows like these coming soon?
Then, imagine 'teleporting' in to 'walk around' the "before renovations" and "after renovations" or the house-for-sale or vacation destination.
For those of us that do not have the time, money or the access to these destinations, a virtual reality experience will be (almost) like being there.
Over the last few weeks, I have been showing our Matterport VR Showcase Beta content to friends, colleagues, clients and potential clients. And, the four words that summarizes everyone's Matterport VR Showcase Beta experience is: WOW! That is AWESOME!
With virtual reality (VR) set to explode (in a good way) in 4Q15 and 1Q16, I imagine that some of these TV channels / TV Shows will embrace VR.
VR "checks the box" for these TV channels to help:
- increase viewership
- increase length of viewing
- increase integrated marketing revenue
VR will do this by:
- increasing media coverage
- increasing blogger coverage
- activating fan base
- adding value to advertisers ("buy now" and "book now" buttons)
- providing a "second screen" viewing experience
The bonus for TV networks in engaging a Matterport Pro to create 3D and VR Showcase content like this are these uses:
- creating interactive, 3D floor plans (measurements in data capture)
- pre-visualization of spaces for production planning
- reduce the time it takes to produce TV shows
- reduce tech scouting trips
While I may be off by a year, it's obvious to me that all TV channels will add virtual reality experiences to all their shows; just as TV channels did when they integrated in the following in their content, consumer marketing and integrating marketing:
- the web
- social media
- viewing on smartphones and tables
TV networks that get started now will benefit from the the additional trade and consumer media and blogger coverage, buzz and word-of-mouth. All 3D Tour content like this, can be converted to Matterport VR Showcase in time for Fall premieres.
Need further proof that the world is about to go nuts for virtual reality this Fall? Look for exciting announcements at E3 in Los Angeles 16-18 June 2015.
Dan Smigrod is the Founder, CEO an Chief Photographer for We Get Around. We Get around helps real estate agents win $500,000+ listings in Atlanta by differentiating their marketing plans with the We Get Around WalkAround™ 3D and VR Tour solutions – powered by Matterport. Not in Atlanta? Contact Us for a free referral of a Matterport Pro 3D Camera photographer.
- Matterport Photographers: Gear VR + Note 4 – 16 Step Setup Check List
- Matterport Photographers: How to Optimize Your 3D Tours for Gear VR
Join The Conversation