Kennesaw State University (KSU) College of Continuing and Professional Education-Catering Kitchen Walk-Around by We Get Around Chief Photographer Dan Smigrod
To shoot a We Get Around Walk-Around, we plan on 1.5 hours per 1,000 square feet. Under ideal conditions, our photo shoots can take 1 hour per 1,000 square feet.
We Get Around Chief Photographer Dan Smigrod provides his Top 10 list of ideal conditions:
- No people coming and going (photo shoot stops until people exist the space)
- Good lighting
- Minimal glass, mirrors and other reflective surfaces (contributes to a higher rate of scanning failure)
- Hallways that have pictures, light fixtures and other reference points to help with image stitching (reduces scan failure that results in a "do-over" scan; typically with the camera closer to the previous scan)
- Space pre-staged by Client (window blinds set; trash cans emptied; furniture organized)
- Indoors only (see Dan's list of ideal conditions for shooting outdoors)
- No direct sunset entering the interior space (such as double-high commercial windows)
- Normal height ceilings (helps with stitching)
- Camera "eye-level" set to 5'0" (higher elevation may contribute to more scans failing: "do-over scans")
- Scanning every 6-10 feet (event spaces may need every 3-5 feet to help event planners visualize a space from more point-of-views (PoVs)
Dan typically takes a screen grab of the Matterport Capture app screen on his iPad Air at the beginning and end of a Walk-Around to help with estimating time for future projects.
In addition to creating We Get Arounds Walk-Arounds for our greater Atlanta area clients, Dan provides training to our Network of photographers. In the first three months that the Matterport 3D Showcase has been possible, Dan has created 200,000+ square feet of luxury real estate and commercial real estate spaces – including with people and outdoors – for more than a dozen clients.